The vacation with my girls this summer was supposed to be full of fun adventures/misadventures, but instead, it was spent in emergency rooms and hospitals.
My youngest daughter wasn’t feeling well over the weekend she spent with her father, but we just thought it was a stomach bug. She started to feel a bit better Monday night and said she wanted to go on the trip Tuesday, so we hit the road Tuesday morning. She was a bit tired and slow moving on the drive but she ate some food and seemed in decent spirits.
We arrived at our queen “suite” Tuesday evening after a long day of driving and were disappointed by the size and layout of the room. That’s a story for another day though as I’m still trying to resolve the issue with Hilton. That night when Jaycie went to the bathroom she cried and complained of right side pain. That was the first time she’d specified a region of pain and I didn’t take it as a good sign.
The next morning, Wednesday, I decided to take her to an urgent care near the hotel. The doctor at urgent care couldn’t help her because they didn’t have the right equipment so they sent us to the emergency room at Beverly Hospital. She’d become dehydrated over the weekend with her father and I’d been having her drink as much as possible since I picked her up Sunday, but as soon as she got into an emergency room, the nurse could tell she was still dehydrated and started her on IV liquids. Jaycie cried getting the IV put in and my oldest daughter and I almost started crying too because we hated seeing her in pain and scared. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the last time Jaycie would be in such a state.
The doctors at Beverly Hospital decided to do an ultrasound to see if they could find the cause of her pain and when that produced inconclusive results, they admitted her to the hospital for observation. The doctors and nurses were all very nice and Jaycie went into a nice private room upstairs. Once she was settled in, Jordan and I went back to the hotel to sleep because we were exhausted. I told my family and close friends about what was going on and they offered their support and well wishes, which meant the world to me.
The next day at the hospital, Thursday, the doctors said they didn’t think that she would require surgery for whatever the issue was, so they said she could start eating normal food again. I ordered her food she would normally like but she didn’t want to eat any of it and only ate a few bites of breakfast, lunch and dinner because I insisted she needed to eat to get better.
Throughout the entire hospital experience, the one thing that helped Jaycie was having a TV with a DVD player in her room. She watched several movies and that kept her spirits up and her mind off her discomfort. Jordan read her books and I distracted myself with Warcraft to pass the time as we waited for doctors and nurses to figure out what was wrong with Jaycie and how to make her better.
Jordan and I went back to the hotel to sleep Thursday night and when we came back Friday morning, the doctor said she was concerned that Jaycie wasn’t improving as they’d hoped. They’d thought she had a uti or some sort of intestinal bug, but as she had been on antibiotics since getting into the emergency room and still wasn’t improving, they began to wonder if it was something else, like appendicitis.
I’d wondered if it was appendicitis from the moment she complained of right side pain but the doctors hadn’t wanted to do a CT scan due to the radiation until they’d exhausted other options. They did an x-ray on Jaycie Friday afternoon and when that showed fluid where it didn’t belong, they decided it was time for a CT scan.
Almost the entire time that Jaycie’s abdomen hurt, she was also complaining of right shoulder pain and my oldest friend kept insisting Jaycie should get a CT scan because her son had right shoulder pain associated with his ruptured appendix. As it turned out, she was right that it had to do with Jaycie’s appendix as the CT scan revealed perforated appendicitis with abscesses.
Beverly Hospital didn’t have the capabilities to treat Jaycie’s condition so they informed me that they’d be moving her to Boston Children’s Hospital via ambulance that Friday night. I’d been holding it together pretty well until then but learning that they had to move my daughter to a different hospital made me think it was something even more serious than I realized and I started to crumble a bit.
As this has turned into an epic novel of a blog post, I will continue it another day.